Thursday, December 15, 2011

From my family to yours...

Merry Meet,

In honor of the season I really wanted to be able to give all of you who follow along with me something special for Yule.  What I wanted to share with you is a memory and a recipe.  Growing up, my grandmother pretty much lived with my family.  She was always there and I spent countless hours with her.  While I was going over memories of her with my mom the other day, I told my mom I would describe her as a pure soul, in that she had a pure loving heart.  I don't remember ever seeing her angry, and the love that poured from her was tremendous.  While she had not much for material items to give, she gave her love freely and was always making things during the holiday season.

Each Christmas season she would always help with the cooking.  I remember her making Italian Christmas cookies, fig ravioli cookies, and italian biscotte each year to bring to the relatives that we went to visit.  One of the things I was given when my grandmother moved onto the next world was a little tin box.  Something I cherish and will always cherish.  In this box she had collected all of her recipes.  I try each season to make one in honor of her memory.  But today I wanted to share with you her recipe for Italian Christmas cookies.  I hope you get the chance to make them and enjoy them as much as I did when I made them with her as a little girl.

Grandma's Italian Cookies

Ingredients
1 lb butter
1 dozen eggs large
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
8 cups of flour
sprinkles different colors (to decorate)
2 boxes confectioner's sugar
chocolate kisses
jordon almonds

Beat eggs & sugar together for 10 - 15 seconds using mixer on high speed
Add in almond extract and mix until shining
Melt butter in bowl and add lemon and salt to it. 
Add butter mixture, flour and baking powder to mix.

Once it's mixed make little balls, roll them out and shape them into an 8.

Bake at 325 degrees for 9 minutes or until light brown

For icing, mix confectioner's sugar with a bit of milk till it is the consistancy of icing.  Paint the icing onto the cookies and add sprinkles on top before the icing hardens. You can add a bit of extra almond extract to the glaze if you wish. 

Add cookies to a bowl with kisses and almonds :))

Have a Blessed Yule,

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.