Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saint Patrick's Day and Wiccans

**Original Graphic by Napalm Candy**


Merry Meet :)))

I love love love Ireland and pretty much everything Celtic.  So my instinct is to go about and wish everyone a Happy Saint Patrick's day, however you might want to use caution when doing this with Wiccans, Pagans or Druids.

Saint Patrick... who is he?

The part where he becomes controversial in the Pagan and Druid communities is where he is credited with banishing the snakes from Ireland.  Most people who read that legend would probably think he did a great thing.  However, Ireland didn't have snakes in the time of Saint Patrick.  They did however have coins that represented Druids with the symbol of the snakes.  I've read in other places that the snakes were a metaphor for the Pagans.  So he is actually credited with converting Pagans to Christianity and driving the Druids from Ireland. Hmmmm... Being Wiccan we have a lot of Pagan traditions and some of us have Druid traditions as well.  Now it might be a little clearer why you may not see the Wiccan community out wishing everyone a Happy Saint Patrick's day.  In fact you may see them wearing snake symbols on this day to honor their Pagan ancestors rather then the clovers, and other traditional Saint Patrick's day symbols.

Saint Patrick is believed to have been born in about 370 C.E. in either Wales or Scotland. As a teenager he was captured during a raid and sold to an Irish landowner as a slave.  It was during this time that he started having visions.  One of these visions helped him to escape from Ireland.  He found his freedom and joined the Priesthood in France at a monistary.  He returned to France after his study to help with the conversion of Pagans to Christianity.

Something I think interesting to note is that one of the ways he promoted the conversion was demonstrated with a three leaf clover.  He used it to explain the Holy Trinity to the Pagans.  For those of you who are unfamiliar, that is the father, son and the holy spirit.  Which if you notice is quite similar to Paganism's Triple Goddess.  During the conversion a lot of Pagan beliefs were adopted and converted into Christianity so those converting wouldn't feel like they were leaving their beliefs behind.

So while I'm not telling you not to celebrate Saint Patick's day.  I love Ireland, and in the United States it is more of a celebration of Ireland which I love.  Just keep it in mind as you go through your day today, and it may help you to understand why a lot of Wiccans, Druids, and Pagans are not celebrating today. I will use today to celebrate Ireland, and the ancient Celtic and Pagan traditions that I have come to know and love.

I am also curious if anyone knows, as I am always on a path trying to learn.  I have not seen anything saying that he did it violently anywhere? From everything I'm  reading I'm seeing that the conversion was made from him preaching in the various areas and speaking with people.  Most of what I'm seeing shows him being a loving soul, who was deeply religious.  I understand the frustration in the community as he converted a lot of people, am just curious if anyone has additional information. :))

I should also note that to those who do celebrate today it is not offensive to me. I try to be open-minded as I can and I respect all the different religions.  I think what is most important is that you have spirituality and faith.  "And it harm none, do what ye will" ;)

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

7 comments:

  1. I guess I am weird. I never looked past the name and the connection to Ireland. To us in my area, it was always just a way of celebrating your Irish heritage. That is even if you weren't Irish. In shool all it meant was we had to wear green if we didnt want to get pinched by the othef kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, this year was the first year I did as well. I was surprised when I learned that honestly. It has always been a day to celebrate the Irish for me. And lol at wearing it so you wouldn't get pinched! Thank you so much for stopping by :))) Blessings

      Delete
    2. I do appreciate the positivity and acceptance. It is sad to be oppressed, but if we hold hatred and grudgfully withdraw, we are no better. As a child in a christian home, I had no idea that Saint Patrick's day was the least bit religious, and thought of it as a pagan day actually! I didn't know what it ment to be pagan at the time. My mother didn't recognize saints and was against drinking so the day was deifinately not religious. But now as an adult and mother, I like to think of it as a day to share traditional food with my daughter and husband who have Irish heritage :) as for me, a time to observe the coming spring and all the little clovers and foliage that is beginning to sprout. Now that I have learned a little about the history, I might craft a green snake to wear ;)Hope everyone has a great Ostara in a few days! ~Melissa Jane~

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ila - some of my Pagan friends call St. Patrick's Day Irish Heritage Day instead. I may not be Irish (as far as I know), but my BFF and husband do have Irish blood. Celebrate with them, celebrating their heritage. Blessings. ~)O(~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using it as a day to celebrate Irish heritage. That is how I'll be using it from now on. :)))) Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :))) Big Hugs and Many Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Merry Meet Jasmeine.

    Thank you for putting this out.I have a lot of friends that do not understand when i tell them i am not wearing green cus i do not Celebrate this day.
    so now i can just show them y? have you Read Witta the Irish Belief? It has been a long time for me but i do think that there is a reference to violence in there.
    But do not quote me like i said it was a long time ago that I read it.
    I may be wrong but i think not.
    thank you. Kenny
    )0(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This explains St . Patrick's genocide I hope this helps. http://wisdomquarterly.blogspot.com/2011/03/st-patrick-defeats-serpents-nagas.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.