Thursday, May 17, 2012

Offerings to the Gods and Goddesses

original graphic by Brandrificus


Offerings to the Gods and Goddesses

Merry Meet :)

One question from those of you that write to me fairly often have, is how to leave offerings for the Gods and Goddesses and what to leave.  Most of us will have a patron God or Goddess that we work with. Leaving offerings as thanks for their guidance is an excellent way to show your respect and honor them for their love and time with you. One nice idea is to have a mini-alter that you setup for them and leave offerings on.  However I'm well aware that some of us don't have the room for that, or don't want anything that "visible" in their home.  Your offering doesn't have to be anything extravagant. It's the thought and the intention that you put into it.   Another way is to put a small offering bowl on your altar for them. I use an abalone shell that a close friend of mine gave to me on my alter to leave little goodies as offerings.  It is also perfectly acceptable to leave something outside as well. It's really up to you.

Now, what to leave them. In my opinion "it's the thought that counts".  I view leaving offerings as I view giving presents. It's not the size of the gift or the amount spent, it's the love, time and thought that went into it that makes it special.   I have left gemstones, things I've found in nature such as stones, flowers, herbs from my garden... that sort of thing. Just something to let them know I was thinking of them.  There are some recommended items in the wiccan community for you to leave for them. Bread, wine and milk are appropriate for any deity. Here are some more suggestions:


Gods/Goddesses of Hearth and Home:
Food: Bread and grains, cooking oil, salt
Drink: Milk, wine, cider
Herbs: Rosemary, thyme

Gods/Goddesses of Love and Passion:
Food: Eggs, honey, apples
Drink: Wine, fruit juice
Herbs: Lavender, sandalwood

Gods/Goddesses of Nature: 
Food: Bread, cornmeal, fruit
Drink: Milk, water
Herbs: Bay

Gods/Goddesses of Prosperity and Abundance:
Food: Grains, dairy products like cheese or eggs
Drink: Milk, beer
Herbs: Mint, pennyroyal, catnip

Spirits of Ancesters
Food: Any meal from your family's table
Drink: Drinks from the family table
Herbs: Sage, sweetgrass

Childbirth or Fertility Godesss:

Food: Eggs, baked sweets like cookies
Drink: Milk (including breast milk)
Herbs: Rose, sandalwood, apple blossoms

This is a basic list to get you started. If you look up the specific God or Goddess you are wishing to leave offerings for you may see additional suggestions for them. A good way to search for that information is on Google Search put the name of the God or Goddess and attributes, correspondance or offerings. So for instance, when I look up Isis, I get the following information:

Animal: Man, Woman, unicorn, sphinx, ram, owl, lion, eagle
Colour: Emerald, turquoise
Day: Wednesday, Friday
Festivals: Advent of Aset - January 2nd, July 17th, Oct 30th - Nov 2nd
Flower: Amaranth, cypress, willow, lily, ivy, snowdrop
Gems: ruby, star ruby, turquoise, sapphire, pearl, amethyst, peridot, beryl
Minerals: Phosphorus, silver, sulphates
Perfume: musk, myrrh, civert, cedar, dragons blood, narcissus, onycha
Tarot: Twos, Threes, Fours, Tens, The Emperor, The Hermit, The Hanged Man


So using that list, there are a lot of other ideas of things for me to leave for her. 

I looked for a website that would list them out nicely for you but I really didn't have any luck. I did see a book on Amazon called The Goddess Guide: Exploring the Attributes and Correspondences of the Divine Feminine.

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for these ideas! I've spent a while trying to figure out what to leave as an offering, but have recently discovered that, as you said, it isn't what but why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you do with the offerings after they have been on the altar for a while? And for that matter, how long do you leave the offerings on the altar?

    Blessed be! )0(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You give your offering back to the earth. you could just put it outside or you could even bury it.

      Delete
  3. so, for example, you pour some wine or milk in a flower's pot ground if you don't have a garden? is it ok if you live in an apartment? and what happens if for some reason the plant dies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Meet sweetie :))) Absolutely :)))) If the plant dies you can take it somewhere where you can bury it and give it back to Mother Earth :)):)) Have a magickal day! :))) Much Love and Many Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

      Delete
  4. I'm really new to all of this, but I feel as if I need to thank them for all they've done. I can't do much as I don't want my parents to know; if I use bread, would I rip it into pieces and scatter it on the ground? Or should I find a rock or something of that sort to use as an altar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should just put your offering back into nature the way you can. Im sure the Higher Powers will be thankful for it. Like it was stated before, its the thought that counts.

      I'm new to all of this too, and I haven't told my parents about my faith either.

      I hope this helps. Goodluck on your journey. ♡

      Delete
    2. I think you should just put your offering back into nature the way you can. Im sure the Higher Powers will be thankful for it. Like it was stated before, its the thought that counts.

      I'm new to all of this too, and I haven't told my parents about my faith either.

      I hope this helps. Goodluck on your journey. ♡

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this article! I'm just wondering what we do with the offerings afterwards? I want to offer crystals and money and such things but what do i do with them after? Can i still keep them? Sorry i'm just a bit unsure <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Meet sweetie :)))) As often as you can you want to give the offerings to them. So for instance I will often try to find stones on my walks or other goodies like feathers etc that I think would make nice offerings. :))) That would be the best way to do it. :))))

      Much Love and Many Blessings,

      Jasmeine Moonsong

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.