Saturday, June 23, 2012

Moonwort - Lunaria





Lunaria


Merry Meet :)) I found the seeds for it a little while ago and I about fell over in target when I saw their picture looking back at me. Whyyyyy would a flower strike me so? About a year ago I went on a great hunt trying to figure out what this plant was. It's also known as Honesty, Moonwort, Money Plant, or Silver Dollars. My Grandmother always had this plant about when I was a little girl and I was always completely fascinated by it. Perhaps it's because they seem to glow with moonlight, or they look like a moon, or just their majestic appearance but I have always loved them. This summer I get to try to grow my own! Cross your fingers for me lol as I've not been blessed with the best of green thumbs but am working on it! :))


Lunaria is a biennial plant. If you want it to come back each year you need to plant it two years in a row. It is a pretty hearty plant and will grow in nearly any soil. It does ok with shade but should receive about 4 - 6 hours of sunlight a day. For those of you familiar with it you are probably most familiar with it's seed cases. The white circular silvery shapes look amazing in any garden or on any table. Pair it next to some lavender and you probably have one of my favorite floral arrangements. :))) I remember it does well as a dried flower and can actually be kept for months at a time in the proper conditions. It does have beautiful flowers when it does flower. They are a very rich purple in color. The plant can actually grow to be almost 2 feet tall. It's other name "honesty" came about in the 16th century. In the United States it's often called a silver dollar tree. :) The name I knew it as growing up.


Moonwort has been around since the Middle Ages. This plant is a beautiful offering to the Moon Goddess. It is a protective plant helping to ward off danger. It represents money, honesty, and sincerity.


Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong


1 comment:

  1. I have some growing in my yard for the first time this year. As a child I used the seed pods as "fairy dishes" for miniature tea parties.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.