Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Aberlemno Sculptured Stones




Aberlemno Sculptured Stones

Merry Meet :))) I love perusing all the pictures on Pinterest. If you've not joined me yet on Pinterest you can find me here: http://pinterest.com/wiccanmoonsong/ This week the picture of the Serpent stone above caught my attention. It is one of the Aberlemno Stones near Aberlemno village in Angus Scotland. Located in this area there are five pictish stones. The Picts were people who lived in ancient Eastern and Northern Scotland. I am by no means an expert in history, although I find it extremely interesting. A search through google will turn up a wealth of interesting and conflicting information about exactly who the Picts were. The earliest mention of them that I found dated 297 A.D. Recent archaeological work is starting to turn up more information about it. I encourage you to explore it as I am finding it fascinating. I have seen some opinions that the early Picts were Pagan which made me smile as perhaps that's part of why this particular stone appealed to me so. However I am also seeing in other places that they were Christian. No matter what their religion I still find the stones an amazing piece of history.

In this article I just wanted to introduce you to the stones found around the village of Aberlemno. The first stone is the one showed in the picture above. On the stone most notable is the serpent picture at the very top, helping to earn the stone it's "serpent stone" name. The rest of the stone has many Pictish symbols on it for which we still don't know the meaning of them. This stone is considered to be one of the best preserved examples of a Pictish stone.


The second stone known as Aberlemno II is of a celtic cross. This stone can be found in the churchyard. The cross has both Pictish and Christian symbols upon it. What I found most fascinating on this stone was all the Celtic knot designs. It's just gorgeous! In the center of the cross you can see the spiral of triskelions. It is said that the intertwining animals on the lower right are pictish beasts.


The third stone is also a celtic cross. On this cross though you will notice the angels on either side of the cross. The back side of this cross has a beautiful hunting scene on it.


The fourth stone is now housed at the McManus Galleries in Dundee Scotland. On this particular stone you see a horseshoe at the top. Underneath it you see a Pictish beast.



This final picture is of the battle scene on the backside of the second stone. All of the pictures came from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberlemno_Sculptured_Stones and a site on Ancient Scotland here: http://www.ancient-scotland.co.uk/site.php If you are interested in the stones I highly recommend the second website. He does a fantastic job going into all the detail on each of the stones and has amazing pictures as well. I also have a video on youtube for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOoIsEb0T0A

I hope you enjoy!

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

1 comment:

  1. Nice Article! you may find my blog and book interesting (with a completely new interpretation of the symbols) http://lastofthedruids.com/ My theory is that the symbols constitute an astrological system decalring whether the event represented by the stone is at an auspicious time (or indeed inauspicious)

    Iain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.