Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spinach Rice Casserole



Spinach Rice Casserole

Merry Meet :))))) I don't often share recipes on my website, but once in awhile I will pass along one that is a favorite.  This is a huge favorite in my house, and I actually just made one last night. :))) This is a recipe that my Grandma use to always make us. I remember asking for it frequently growing up.   I've now taken over the tradition of making it. :))) It's sooooo yummy! :))) My kids even love it and you know how much most kids like spinach. I thought I'd pass it along to all of you. :))) It can be used either as a meal by itself or you can use it for a side. If you use it as a side for dinner you want to use a much smaller pan, and cut the recipe down. The one I make is using a very large rectangle pan. Mine is 9" x 12" by 2".

Ingredients:
- 4 cups of brown rice (uncooked)
- 3 bags spinach
- 1 pound sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 pound muenster cheese
- 1 sticks butter (you may need more if you cook spinach with butter)
- bread crumbs (italian)

Shread all your cheese to get it ready.

Cook the brown rice per the directions on your package. Mine was like 10 minutes in boiling water, depending on the type you get.

Once the rice is cooked add about 2 tablespoons butter and mix it in. Set the rice to the side.

Cook the first package of spinach in the pan. When you rinse it, leave a bit of water. You just want to cook it until it is limp.

Add the spinach to the bottom of the pan. Spread out evenly. This is your first layer.

Add 1/3 of the rice as your second layer.

Add 1/3 sharp chedder cheese third layer.

Add 1/3 muenster cheese top layer.

Repeat this two more times. I usually make the first couple layers of cheese a little smaller so I have extra cheese on the top layer.

When you get to the top, cover the top completely with bread crumbs. I've never measured this! I just kindof shake it on. I would guess around 2 - 3 cups?

Slice up thin slices of butter and add them to the top so that they are scattered. It helps to make the top crispy.

Bake in the oven at around 350 for about 45 minutes. The top will start to darken.

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

3 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner tonight!! Only thing I added was a little garlic and onion and it was fantastic!! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you mean frozen spinach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Meet :)) I usually use fresh spinach :)))) You could try frozen :))))

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.