Monday, March 4, 2013

The Magpie as Your Totem Animal or Spirit Animal



The Magpie as Your Totem Animal or Spirit Animal

Merry Meet :))) Magpies are gorgeous birds that are members of the corvid family, like crows and ravens. The ones you find in Europe and North America are a striking combination of black and light. Depending on the light they can appear to have green or navy tones to their feathers. Another variety of them found in Asia can be blue and green in color. As I've mentioned these birds are amazing in color and when you see one, the color will command your attention. When a Magpie works with you they will help to encourage you to come out of your shell and not hide. We are all beautiful and should not be afraid to show it. The Magpie was referred to just as pie until the late 16th century. At that time mag was added before it to give them the name we know them as today. This made their name more feminine and helped to accurately portray the female power and energy that is associated with them.

These very active, spritited birds. They are very curious birds who love to explore everything. They are also extremely intelligent. They are one of the few birds able to recognize themself in the mirror. They love anything shiny. While it is good to love those sparkly and shiny things, the Magpie can also remind us to look at what we are going after. The Magpie while loving shiny things can remind us that we need to make sure that we keep our priorities in line and don't always chase glitter. :))

Magpies are found around the world. Almost everywhere they are found, they are associated with witchcraft, most legends being that witches can transform into them. It is also believed that they can announce the coming of storms. When you live near a Magpie, if you pay attention to them, you may notice them informing you of not only the weather, but when guest are arriving to visit you, or other changes in your surrounding. In ancient Europe they believed strongly in the Magpie's messages of things to come. They believed that if you saw one magpie, it could indicate danger and to be aware of your surroundings. Two could mean that a beautiful union of two people is likely to transpire soon. Three means you will have good luck on your journey. Four is indicitive of a new beginning. Five magpies could mean that visitors are soon to arrive. Six means an end to something is near. They considered seven mapies a very good sign that the path you are on is correct. If you see eight, something is not quite right, and to wait for whatever you are doing. Nine magpies means a love will come to see you. :)))

The Magpie is known for having a loud expressive call. When they come to you it can be a symbol of your own communication skills. The Magpie encourages us to be creative and not be afraid to speak up and express our opinions. It can also mean that we need to listen more attentively. She is a highly intelligent creature, and will aid you in being intellectual in your life as well.

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

7 comments:

  1. magpies are a mystery bird. i have had many encounters with magpies at a park. i relax at a special tree they amaze me how mystical they are. seen 9 doves and a magpie was interesting indeed, other day seen a magpie attacking a hawke .. jasmine your article is spot on. had two magpies on rooftop yesterday . my grandad dieing will be renuinted with soulmate. as i speak just a lone one chattering on roof now .. i get the message speak up and dont hold back. i have a magpie feather in my room and a acorn on window still .. magical bird thats a mystery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine,
    I had a band once called Moondog.We used the same symbol you have used.
    I like what you have to say about magpies they are all around our house since my dad passed away>
    Graham
    gjwight@optusnet.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking after a baby magpie now that thinks I'm it's mother. Could this little demanding baby possibly be my spirit animal/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Meet sweetie :)))) Absolutely :)))))) Whenever you have a special connection with an animal like you have with that beautiful little one they may be one of your spirit animals. :)))))

      Have a magickal day :))))

      Much Love and Many Blessings,

      Jasmeine Moonsong

      Delete
  4. Merry Meet ;), I saw an 8-point buck this morning with 3 magpies flying around him. One tried landing on his back and made it on a 2nd attempt. I'll refer to this one as Magpie 1. It cleared insects off his back and climbed up his neck. He was there for a while and another magpie swooped down and landed, Magpie 1 flew to the ground nearby. Magpie 2, climbed up his back and it was as though he leaned his antlers to scratch and Magpie 2 proceeded to oblige him and cleared his antlers too. Once done, Magpie 2 seemed to have a conversation with him and chatted as he stayed nearby. It was as if they knew each other. If you saw this, what would you deduce from this interesting interaction? I've never seen anything like this in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Meet :))))) What an amazing experience! :))))) If you came across this in the wild I would assume both of them are working with you right now and working together to assist you on something on your path. The buck will lend to your intuitive skills, but also work with your strength and leadership. The magpie will help to improve your communication skills.
      You have a loved one on the other side as well? A grandfather? I have a male presence who also is coming through the stag, he watches over you and wanted to let you know that he is walking this part of your path for you. I can't tell if he will be a full time guide for you, it feels like a portion of your path coming up. The stag's presence may have reminded you of him :))) Have a magickal day!

      Much Love and Many Blessings,

      Jasmeine Moonsong

      Delete
  5. The Spring morning my 98 year old Grandmother passed away, I was confronted by a magpie one metre from me as I opened the curtains for the first time to let the sunshine in. I could honestly never remember having seen one in my garden in 8 years of living there.
    Whatever, it shocked and delighted me. It felt like a sign, I was filled with joy for some reason, anyway. I rationalised that whether it was really a sign or not, it was a nice thing to have happened and posted words to that effect on facebook. Then I got on my bike and cycled to work.

    As I cycled towards the little park, I always went past on my way to work (and often saw magpies at) a big smile came over my face as there ( it felt 'inevitable') was a magpie standing on the corner post going beserk ''cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap,cheap'' rocking up and down and turning 360 degrees. ''Ha ha! '' I laughed and waved spontaneously. ''I thought I'd see a Magpie down here today'' I shouted to it.
    As I passed the bird, my hand still raised, the park opened up to my right and there - I counted them - were fourteen more of the black and white birds in the morning sunshine.
    This, from my perspective, was amazing, as I'd never seen more than 7 birds at that park, in the 8 years I'd travelled that track. For this to happen on this morning, after my earlier experience, was awe inspiring.
    It truly felt like a beautiful message from nature.

    There was more. The next day two magpies turned up in my garden ( they ended up nesting in the tree next to my house ). As we pulled-up in the car at the crematorium there were two there in front of the car and at the wake, a pair flew happily about on the edge of proceedings.

    The only thing which tempered my amazement and joy with all this was that I couldn't really share it with my family, in that they thought I was talking a whole load of nonsense.

    Such is the nature of contemporary prevailing 'knowledge' on the subject of these things, of course.
    It certainly took the whole remarkable personal experience to convince me and I guess you just have to live these things to 'get it'.
    I wish it for all. I say keep an open mind and have love in your heart and you might be surprised what can happen when someone close to you passes.



    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.