Tuesday, July 23, 2013

White Birch Tree Leaves



White Birch Tree Leaves

When I was little I use to have several Birch Trees in my yard. There was something very soothing to me about these trees, and I use to sit under them as often as I could. I also use to draw on the pieces of birch bark that I found on the ground. As I've aged these trees have been harder to find in the area that I am in. These trees are mainly found in the Northern United States, Canada, and the Northern United Kingdom. They can grow to be up to 65 feet. They have bright green leaves that are jagged about the edges. The underside of the leaves are much lighter in color. The male and female trees have flowers, but only the female trees will produce seed cones. The flowers are catkins, they always reminded me of long caterpillars and I use to collect them in my yard. When the male flowers bloom they turn a pretty purple color.

Almost all the parts of a Birch Tree can be used medicinally, thus earning it the name of the Giving Tree. For this article though, I wanted to concentrate upon the leaves. When using Birch leaves you only want to use fresh leaves. You can make them into tinctures or teas to receive their benefits. They can be effective on cystitis and urinary symptoms as they help to remove excess water from the body and increase the volume of urine. They have high concentrations of salicylic acid, which helps with pain relief and acts as an anti-inflammatory. If you have kidney stones, birch leaf tea can be used to help treat them. You can use this same tea to help treat skin problems. Birch leaves can also be helpful in the treatment of high blood pressure and cholesterol. Use caution when using this if you are pregnant.

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.