Monday, August 5, 2013

Making Pesto



Making Pesto 

Merry Meet :)))))) I've recently tried pesto and absolutely love it! :))) I know, sometimes I'm a bit slow with trying new things. I was timid before honestly as I have a sensitive stomach and for some reason I thought it would be extremely strong. It has now become a frequent flyer in our household. For those of you who haven't tried it I highly recommend it! However when going to shop for pesto in the store it's actually quite expensive, at least it is where I live. This made me curious on how to make it on my own.  

My herbs are also growing amazingly right now, but I'm aware that the chilly fall winds are starting to arrive, so this is also a great way to get some extra shelf life out of herbs that you grow. :)))

What You Need
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves. (select only healthy green leaves, remove stems, wash in cold water)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (it's worth getting the fresh grated)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts.
- 3 garlic cloves minced (go for the fresh garlic and mince it)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice. (you can buy lemon juice in the grocery but I used a lemon and squeezed it, I generally keep them on hand in my home)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. I love Evoo :))))
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Food processor

Add garlic, oil, and pine nuts to processor. Chop up.

Start adding in the basil in small increments, chopping it as you do so. It should start forming a nice paste.

When you have all the basil added, you can add the parmesan cheese. If you will be freezing it, don't add the parmesan cheese until after it is thawed. :))

You can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week, in the freezer it will last about 3 - 6 months. 

It's great on pastas in lie of sauce, my little ones aren't the biggest tomato sauce fans, but they adore pesto.  It's amazing on chicken.  I mix it in with angel hair pasta and chicken most often.  You can also use it to jazz up those summer veggies from your garden that we are enjoying right now. :))))

Enjoy!

Love and Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great, I didn't know you can add parmesan! I am dying to make my own pesto but sadly we don't own a food processor in our current flat >_<

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.