Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Fisher Cat



The Fisher Cat


He's cute right? How many of you have fisher cats where you live? If you do, shhhhh until I finish my story. :)))))

The other day I took the whole day and spent it with just my son. I have two little ones but like to spend time one on one with them when I can. So I had chosen to take him to a small zoo near us on this day. At the end of the day we spotted a group of cages that I hadn't noticed before at the zoo. I'm not sure why we had never seen these ones before honestly, but we noticed them the other day. A couple of them were empty. In one of the last ones there was a fisher cat. I honestly had never seen one. I also didn't see the sign at that point saying that was what he was.

What I saw was what looked like some sort of baby bear with a long bushy tail. Tell me if you didn't know what a Fisher Cat looked like you wouldn't think that. So of course I default into my "awwwwww!!! Isn't he cute!! :)))) As I approach the cage with my son, the "little bear" rolled onto his back sticking his paws in the air like a puppy who was wanting to have his tum scritched. I was already in awwww mode so now you can bring on the cute high pitched "oh my goodness he's so cute!!" :))) I was honestly quite taken with him.

"Look Cole he's purring." I said.

"Wait a minute..... is he growling?" I asked. I noticed his "purring" sounded a lot like a growl as he was laying there on his back with his paws in the air.

I glanced to the left where I had caught the sign out of the corner of my eye.

"Fisher Cat???"

I suddenly realized what it was, at the same time I heard a loud hiss come from the cat as it literally leapt off of his back and landed on the cage in front of my son. He was hanging in front of my son a foot off the ground by his claws with his teeth showing making this weird hissing noise. Thankfully the cage was double layered, something I hadn't though of when I noticed how cute it was.

I am familiar with Fisher Cats, however I never knew what they looked like as I've never seen one. Funny enough I have never googled it either to see what they look like. Growing up though I always heard my parents telling stories of fisher cats on the loose in the neighborhood eating the other cats. I guess I always pictured some sort of bobcat? I was floored by how this animal that looked so docile and cuddly one minute could look pure evil the next.

Fisher Cats are actually part of the weasel family and not part of the feline family. They are native to North America and Canada, and live primarily in the Eastern forests of North America.

This incident obviously has stood out in my mind the past few days. I've retold it to those who have known me laughing, and that is part of why I wanted to share it with you today. Hopefully my story made you smile. :)))) At the same time though I think it has a serious note as well. I spend a lot of time talking about following your intuition. There is a line. ;) Make sure not to forget to use your other senses as well as things aren't always what they seem. ;) It's all about balance ;)

Much Love and Many Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.