Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Magickal Black Cat



The Magickal Black Cat

Merry Meet. :)) How many of you love kitties? I am the proud owner of 5 furbabies that chose to live with me. :))) One of them is a gorgeous black kitty named, what else? Luna! :)))



Isn't she gorgeous? I always call her my magickal kitty. :)))) Most of you have probably heard this but it's an issue near and dear to my heart so I wanted to talk about it a bit today.

This is an especially tough time of year for black kitties. I am grateful that the local shelter in my area will actually not adopt out black cats throughout the month of October. You may want to check with yours and see if they have this practice in place already and if not, if they would consider putting it in place. This is not to say everyone who adopts a black cat during the month of October is doing it for the wrong reasons. It helps to protect them from some people who may not have their best interests at heart.

So what happened? How did these beauties get such a bad rap. Unfortunately in the United States we can trace it back to the Pilgrims in early Plymouth. They really were against anything that they thought had to do with witchcraft or wizardry and they believed black cats were involved with witches. Black cats have had the reputation of being witches familiars as far back as the Middle Ages and the Puritans brought that belief with them to the United States. Part of the reason for it may have been that they are largely nocturnal and when they roam at night all that can be seen are their eyes. This association is why you see witches and black cats linked together so much this time of year.

Depending on your place in the world is what the current beliefs are about these beauties. In some areas they are considered good luck. :)) I know I adore having Luna live with me. :)))) Black kitties have a harder time getting adopted out of most shelters still. If you are considering taking on a kitty, consider a black one. :))) You may find that you are saving a kitty if you provide her with a home. :)))

Much Love and Many Blessings,

Jasmeine Moonsong

Join us on Moonsong Daily Magick for the Samhain Countdown!
http://jasmeinemoonsong.com/moonsong-daily-magick/

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I only adopt black cats. In my lifetime, so far, I've had a male black cat named Merlin, a female (long hair) black cat named Shadow, a male black cat named Maverick, a female black cat named Ebony (we called her Beezer) and our 2 current female black cats, Claire and Rylee. We adopt the black cats because of the very reasons you wrote. We're not biased, as we did have a calico with the really original name of Callie. Heh. Both Shadow and Ebony (Beezer) lived to be 18 human years. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :))) Love and Blessings, Jasmeine Moonsong

Moonsong Daily Magick - Join Us! Click banner to join.